Big Data and Artificial Intelligence in Business
April 13, 2017
On 10th April, Adjuno attended the ‘Big Data and Artificial Intelligence in Business’ forum of Internet Economy Summit (IES) hosted by Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation (HKSTP) in Hong Kong. This event comprised of 10 speakers from across the globe who shared their experience of how organisations are leveraging various forms of Artificial Intelligence in conjunction with big data analytics to deliver benefit to government, private sector and end-consumer.
The main message we heard during the event was “AI should actually be considered to be ‘Augmented Intelligence’, good AI amplifies human creativity it doesn’t replace it.”
Below is a snapshot of the various keynote speeches and the topics briefly covered by each speaker.
- Dr.C. Mohan from IBM shared some of the insights on the ‘The Era of Cognitive Computing’ and IBM Watson is an example that represents the first step into cognitive systems. These cognitive systems can transform how organisations think, act and operate in future. He stated as cognitive systems grow richer, they are expected to gain the ability to sense. We expect them to do more than reading text, but to see, hear and feel so that they have a basic awareness of their environment. Furthermore he suggested that in less than 10 years, cognitive systems will be to computing what transaction processing is today.
- Mr. Kurt Solarte from Ernst & Young who specializes in Design-Led technology projects to help transform business shared his experience of Augmented Intelligence. He gave details and examples on the principles for designing human-centric augmented intelligence.
- Mr. San Zaw from TIBCO Software shared his thoughts on augmenting intelligence for business. He further stated, “the power of AI is no longer limited to a data science team or an analytics team, but is unleashed to the rest of the business users”
- Dr Vlad Gheorghiu from University of Waterloo presented and discussed on quantum computing in the age of Big Data. He revealed how universal quantum computing will drive new applications in A.I. such as autonomous self driving, medical diagnosis, etc.
The event concluded with a panel discussion on “Inspiring innovation with data analytics and AI”. The panel was chaired by Prof. Helen Meng from The Chinese University of Hong Kong below were the panel members
- Mr Gao Xinmin (Vice President, Internet Society of China)
- Dr David Chung (Under Secretary for Innovation and Technology, HKSAR Government)
- Dr Peter Yeung (Smart City & Green Technology, Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks Corporation)
- Mr Lionel Louie (Chief Commercial Officer, CargoSmart Ltd)
- Mr Thomas Tsao (Founding Partner, Alibaba Entrepreneur Fund)
In summary, AI has the potential and it will be interesting to see how AI is transforming industries and raising expectations in businesses globally.
Request Adjuno Software Demo
Customer Success Stories
We have found them to be an excellent business partner. Through the implementation of both their supply chain and sourcing software they have more than proven themselves in giving us a product that functions the way we need it to. LIMA has been a fantastic supply chain visibility tool, calculating real accurate landed cost position throughout the order lifecycle. The LIBERTY software matches our product sourcing business needs perfectly. PLM systems I’ve previously used, often bring lots of issues through implementation, but these guys managed this and I’ve got highly satisfied users.John Amm - GM Global Sourcing, Myer
The solution has realised more benefits than we initially thought possible. Claims notifications are being handled in a fraction of the time. Suppliers are making fewer calls into the office and quality scores have increased dramatically. All of this can only have had a positive impact on the customer experienceMartin Ashfield, head of commercial property claims, AXA
The system alerts us to exceptions against our plan, allowing us to focus our attentions on solving the real issues in the supply chain. Having a comprehensive audit trail of events for everyone to see has resulted in significantly improved service levels from our suppliers and agents.Darren Walker, head of generics buying and UK trading, Alliance Healthcare
Now our buyers can exchange photographs with suppliers and have a real-time dialogue as they develop styles, while buyers out in the Far East can send detailed and accurate information back to their teams in the UK. It has certainly cut lead times and reduced errors.Maxine Walter, supply chain co-ordination manager, New Look
The time it takes to compile reports has been significantly reduced; a report which used to take five whole days to complete is now accomplished within a single day!Sam Brown, Responsible Sourcing Co-ordinator - John Lewis.